The North York Moors National Park is a very scenic and diverse region located in North Yorkshire, England.
Established as a national park in 1952, it covers an area of approximately 554 square miles and is known for its expansive heather moorlands, lush forests, rolling hills, and dramatic coastline.
Visitors to the North York Moors National Park can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, such as hiking, cycling, horseback riding, wildlife spotting, and exploring the picturesque villages that dot the landscape. The area offers numerous walking routes, including the famous Cleveland Way National Trail, which combines moorland and coastal walks.
Some suggested popular destinations and attractions in North York Moors National Park from Hotel finder UK include:
1. Whitby: This historic coastal town is famous for its association with Bram Stoker's Dracula, the ruins of Whitby Abbey, and its bustling harbour. Whitby also offers a variety of shops, museums, and dining options.
2. Robin Hood's Bay: A charming and picturesque fishing village nestled along the coast, Robin Hood's Bay is known for its narrow streets, red-roofed cottages, and fossil hunting opportunities on the beach.
3. Rievaulx Abbey: These impressive ruins of a 12th-century Cistercian monastery are situated in a tranquil valley, providing a fascinating glimpse into the monastic life and the site's rich history.
4. Goathland: This quaint village, known for its role as the fictional village of Aidensfield in the TV series Heartbeat, also features the charming Goathland Station, which served as Hogsmeade Station in the Harry Potter films.
5. Sutton Bank: Offering stunning views across the Vale of York and the surrounding countryside, Sutton Bank is a popular destination for walks and cycling routes, including the family-friendly Sutton Bank Bikes Trail.
6. Rosedale Abbey: This peaceful village in the heart of the moors is surrounded by beautiful countryside and is known for its remains of a 12th-century Cistercian nunnery.
7. Dalby Forest: A large woodland area with miles of walking and cycling trails, Dalby Forest also features an adventure playground, the Go Ape treetop adventure course, and an observatory for stargazing.
8. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is a heritage steam railway offering a nostalgic journey through the stunning North York Moors National Park. Stretching for 18 miles between Pickering and Whitby, the railway delights visitors with its vintage carriages, picturesque stations, and charming countryside, attracting both train enthusiasts and tourists alike.